Timeline

A SNAPSHOT IN TIME

May 18

1951

1951
  • The Don and Sybil Harrington Foundation was established under the leadership of LE Moyer.
May 18

1957

1957
  • The Foundation was formed and granted Charter of Incorporation by the State of Texas.
May 18

1959

1959
  • Northwest Texas Hospital improvements funded by Amarillo Area Foundation.
May 18

1960

1960
  • 300 acres of land acquired through cooperative efforts of Potter County, the Amarillo Hospital District, landowners and private parties to build the Medical Center.
May 18

1962

  • Agreement with Baptist General Convention for construction/operation of High Plains Baptist Hospital.

 

  • Texas Panhandle Heritage Foundation and construction of Palo Duro Canyon Amphitheatre.
May 18

1965

1965
  • First dirt moved on 350 acre Medical Center site.
May 18

1971

  • First Scholarship Fund established by Mrs. A.A Bush.
  • Scholarships at the 50 year:
    Originally = 17 funds with $42350 given.
    1990 = 57 funds with over $500k given.
    2007 = 92 funds with $306364.
May 18

1977

1977
  • Jim Matthews hired as first salaried executive director for Amarillo Area Foundation.
May 18

1976

1976
  • $2M bequest from the Don Harrington estate to operate the Foundation with professional staff.
May 18

1979

1979
  • The Foundation became a membership organization.

 

 

  • Groundbreaking of Harrington Cancer Center.
May 18

1978

1978
  • Grants of land and funds to Amarillo Speech and Hearing Center and Children’s Rehabilitation Center for facilities at the Medical Center. Land given for Harrington Cancer Center. Also Carol Emeny donated 5 acres and sold 10 acres that is now TT Medical and Pharm School.
May 18

1982

 

  • Nonprofit Service Center opens with grant from the Meadows Foundation.

 

 

  • New Northwest Texas Hospital opens in Medical Center.
May 18

1988

  • The Don & Sybil Harrington Foundation and it’s $68 million in assets changed from a private foundation to public supporting organization of the Amarillo Area Foundation, of which 15% was unrestricted, enabling AAF to start many new initiatives.

 

 

  • Jim Allison hired as president and CEO.
May 18

1984

  • Gift of $1,000,000 from Lawrence Hagy.

 

 

  • Creation of Amarillo Medical Center, Inc. by Amarillo Area Foundation.
May 18

1989

  • The Foundation deeded land for continued development of the medical center and a new entity was established and renamed Harrington Regional Medical Center, Inc.
May 18

1990

1990
  • Became major grantmaker Facilitated development of Texas Tech School of Pharmacy and expansion of Texas Tech School of Medicine.
May 18

1993

1993
  • Initiated the Children’s Fund to help meet the special needs of many children in the area.
May 18

1994

1994
  • Initiated an innovative program called ACE, Achievement Through Commitment to Education at Palo Duro High School.
  • Provided $12,405,925 gift for development of Texas Tech University School of Pharmacy.
May 18

1996

  • 79107 Program for at risk children and youth begins.

 

 

  • Development of Tyler Street Resource Center.
  •  Major Fund gifts: Amarillo EDC – $5.8 million, City of Amarillo – $5.8 million, Amarillo Hospital District – $4.2 million.
May 18

1998

1998
  • Gift of $4.4 million from Pete and Wanda Gilvin.
  • First ACE class graduated with 129 receiving an ACE scholarship.
  • Partnership with Metropolitan Opera.
May 18

2002

  • Gift of $4.1 million from Katherine “Kitty” Brady.

 

 

  • Promotes partnership with University of Texas Harrington Fellows.
May 18

2000

2000
  • Expanded ACE Scholarship Program to Caprock High School.
  • Began $1 million education campaign for teen pregnancy.
May 18

2005

2005

Began partnership with High Plains Food Bank for Kids Cafe.

May 18

2006

2006
  • Gift of $3.6 million from R. C. and Betty Fay Neely.
  • Raised and distributed over $680,000 for Panhandle Wildfire Relief.
May 18

2007

  • 50 year celebration.
  • Neely Conference Center opens.

 

 

  • Area Community Funds established.
  • Legacy Funds established.
  • Gave $2 million in Community Fund Matching Grants.
May 18

2009

2009
  • Ace expansion to Tascosa High School.
May 18

2011

2011

 

  • The Don and Sybil Harrington Foundation provided $277,000 to start the Benefit Bank as part of the Partners for Postsecondary Success Initiative.

 

 

  • Clay Stribling hired as CEO/President.
May 18

2010

2010
  • Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. NLNE  $100k in grants funds received to create community partnership and plan.
  • Louise Bowers Slentz Foundation Fund established.
May 18

2012

2012
  • AAF partners with Texas Parks & Wildlife and Mac Dick to build the “Mack Dick Group Pavilion” in Palo Duro Canyon.
May 18

2013

2013
  • Community Development Philanthropy (CDP) project established to help promote endowment building to communities that already held funds at the Foundation. The following funds “graduated” to CDP Affiliate Funds: Donley County Community Fund, Future of Nazareth Affiliate Fund, Oldham County Affiliate Fund, Spearman Community Fund, Swisher County Affiliate Fund, Wellington Community Fund.
May 18

2014

  • 20 years of ACE and “ACE” Giving Day.

 

 

  • The Citadelle became a Supporting Organization.
May 18

2016

2016

 

  • AAF launches new grant-making program for organizations requesting between $2,500 and $20,000 with an abbreviated application to help meet some of the capacity building and general operating needs of the local nonprofit community.
  • CNS Pantex launches an employee-directed, competitive grant program through a component fund at the Amarillo Area Foundation.
May 18

2015

 

  • Amarillo Area Foundation receives assets from HRMC and forms a new entity (AAF Community Health Foundation) that functions as a supporting organization of the Foundation.

 

 

  • Pattern Panhandle Wind establishes the Panhandle Wind Civic Fund and Education Fund to benefit residents in Carson county by competitive grants.
May 18

2017

2017
  • In an unprecedented move, the Amarillo Area Foundation partnered with the City of Amarillo in a strategic effort to bring about the Charles E. Warford Activity Center by endowing a grant of $250,000.